Coconut oil is an all-purpose oil that is widely recognized for its amazing benefits. However, besides being used for cooking, it is also utilized extensively in self-care. So essentially, due to its excellent moisturizing, anti-oxidant, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, this oil holds major value in the maintenance of healthy hair and skin.
The Nutrients Provided by Coconut Oil
The meat of the coconut—from which the oil is derived, is rich in many important nutrients; these include Protein, Calcium, Fiber, Iron and Vitamins B6, C and E. In addition, it contains Potassium, Niacin, Thiamin, Magnesium and Folate (USDA).
Coconut oil also has high amounts of lauric acid, which helps in the treatment of acne. Yet the oil itself, nourishes and adds moisture to the hair. It even protects the hair by acting as an antimicrobial agent. Still, this is surely in addition to strengthening and adding life and luster to dry or damaged hair.
Summary of the Beauty Properties of Coconut Oil
- Heals and nourishes the skin.
- Supports the treatment of acne.
- Retards hair loss.
- Protects the hair.
- Moisturizes and nourishes dry, damaged hair.
- Adds life to thin hair.
A 1 Hour Coconut Oil Moisturizing Treatment for the Hair and Skin
The following is an intense treatment to heal, moisturize and nourish your skin and hair.
Ingredient: Organic, extra virgin coconut oil
- Shampoo your hair and towel dry; then thoroughly cleanse your skin.
- Apply a small amount of the oil—first to your face, in an upward motion.
- Place a quarter-sized amount (or more) of the oil to your palms and rub your hands together. If solid, the heat from your hands will instantly melt the coconut oil.
- Run your fingers through your hair. However, concentrate on coating your hair with the oil. Yet try not to apply too much, as it will take longer to rinse out.
- Cover your hair with a plastic shower cap to retain heat and to increase absorption.
- Leave on your face and hair for about one hour.
- Rinse your face and hair in the shower. Style hair as usual.
Your hair will feel thicker and fuller after this 60 minute treatment.