Cocoa tea is a unique hot chocolate beverage that is very popular in a number of Caribbean countries.
To make this tea, the cocoa beans are first roasted, and afterward grounded and rolled into a cocoa stick, which is then grated into a cocoa powder.
- 1/3 cup of grated cocoa
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- brown sugar
- nip of salt
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- 1 cup of almond or whole milk
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- Bring water, cocoa, nutmeg, vanilla, cinnamon and bay leaf to boil in a medium saucepan.
- Stir in coconut milk and your choice of either almond or whole milk.
- Sweeten with brown sugar to taste, and then add a tiny amount of salt.
- Continue to simmer mixture on low heat for a minute or two.
- Strain into your favorite mug and enjoy your cocoa tea!