An island Christmas is just not the same without sorrel. Here’s a simple Caribbean sorrel drink recipe you can try during the Christmas season or any other time of the year.
• 2.5 cups Dried Sorrel
• 3/4 ounces beaten Ginger
• Lime Juice (to taste)
• 10 cups Water
• Brown or Granulated Sugar (to taste)
For a more spicy version of this sorrel drink, add one or more of the following:
- 4 Whole Cloves (optional)
- 1 Cinnamon Stick (optional)
- Pimento (optional)
1. Bring water to a boil.
2. Pour boiling water over the sorrel in a container. Stir and add ginger and other optional ingredients.
3. Cover and allow it to seep for 4-24 hours. The longer it sits is the more wonderfully potent this sorrel drink will be.
4. Add lime juice and sweeten to taste.
5. Strain and serve cold.